A Novel

I write my own story. For those of you who don't like it, well, as if there is anything you can do other than f-off :P

The Island of Gem - The hunt for treasure

"For the execution of the voyage to the Indies, I did not make use of
intelligence, mathematics or maps."
Christopher Columbus

Finally, I am back from my long-anticipated, vacation to Gem Island, Terengganu. It is a small island near to Redang Island, not much people are aware of it. There is 45 rooms in the resort, with very limited facilities. It might not be a 5 star hotel, but the staff certainly have a way of making people feel at home.


I arrived at Marang Jetty, Terengganu at around 7am, and the first thing that come to sight is this amazing sunrise. All the long hours travel and sleepless nights seem to be so insignificance. Mother nature certainly have a way in bringing out the peace in me.


We took a speedy boat to Gem Island. Surprisingly, the journey was shorter than my previous journey to Redang Island. There is no grand majestic lobby there, only a small office-like room, a table for administration work, a shelf on the left side displaying some souvenir and simple daily necessities for sell. The simple architecture of the resort is easily overlooked by the view of the sea, the sound of the wave. I couldn't wait to jump into the sea.

We got our key after a short while. No bell-boy to carry our bulky luggage, only the lady from the admistration office. She insisted on helping me to carry mine in spite of several refusal from me. As I walked pass the aisle, down to my room, I noticed that each room is named with a different 'gem'. I remembered jade, jasper(mainly because of the movie Twilight), crystal. My room is 'pyrite', which I have no idea what gem is that.

My favourite spot of the room: a swing at the room's balcony




All I need for the day was a nice book and my MP3 player. After a hot shower, while waiting for my lunch, I sat on the swing and read my book. I found it hard to concentrate, perhaps I was too tired from the journey. I fell asleep on the swing. I had a good sleep on a swing, yeap, I did! It will be missing it very much.

I spent most of my time in the sea - floating with life jacket, chatting with a 5 years kid in the sea while he showed off to me that he can swim like a jelly fish, catch fish with a bunch of kids, letting the wave to wash over me, snorkeling, feeding the fish with our left-over bread, doing nothing in the sea, staring at handsome half naked dude while feeling jealous of their athelic personalities, peeping at ladies with nice tanned and slim body, and etc etc etc etc etc.

FOOD is like paradise! No complaints, even from my very much picky sister. It was just plain delicious. Even the waiters are decent and amiable. Nice food, nice sceneric, clean sea water, nice service, nice bed, everything is just nice!! What else can you ask for from a paradise?


We were always fed with more-than-enough-food. Despite all the swimming and snorkling, I am still gaining weight. Well, according to Christopher Columbus, you shouldn't use your brain when travelling. So I stop counting and just eat and voila, a whole new heavier Serene!


I manage to spend a quite moment with the sea, just myself, alone. I sat beside the pond where they kept 4 to 5 turtle, with the sea view right of me. I sat on the floor while listening to my MP3. I come to Gem Island with the intention of doing some soul searching, to look back at my own life and decide what I want for my future. This whole internship things has really baffled me. I started to question myself: What do I want to do? Is advertising my call? With my sister bugging me all days long as to what course she should take, it has an effect on me too. Finally, she decided to settle to medicine. It's good. Not because she is going to be a doctor, but because she finally knows what she likes. I am a passion driven person, and I believe strongly in doing what you love.

Sitting there, I don't have the heart to think of all that tiring question. I just sat there, listening to 'I had a dream', staring at the turtle as they swim freely in the pond, enjoying the soft breeze touches my face and body, I rasied my head to look at the sea occasionally. I realised, I am a passion driven person, I should let my heart leads me, do what I love. I t is a simple thing, but somehow I find it hard to apply it. Perhaps I was trapped in the hassle of daily life and society. Writing keeps me on path, and I shall keep on doing that.


While I was sitting there, a story comes into my mind. I am planning on writing it now. And then I shall post it here, for myself. Thanks to baby turtles! You are my inspiration!!






I shouldn't be telling you too much of the Gem Island, as I don't think there are words that can fully describe the awe feeling I had for that Island. I took alot of pictures, I wanted to capture every single pieces of the Island. No matter how many pic I took, I still felt it is not enough. The best memory is kept in my heart, heart is always the best memory keeper...

Here are a few snapshots of Gem Island:
Feeding the kitten with tun a sandwich at Marang Jetty. My sis gave it a egg sandwich initially, I guess kitty is not much of an egg-cat...

Me and big boss: whom sponsor my entire life, including this exploration for Gem!

Sceneric view of Gem Island

Serene and the sea

Simply in love with this pic.

My favourite pic again!!

Barney: I love you, you love me, we are happy family, with great big hug and a kiss from me to you, *****forgotten*****

Stopping by to buy keropok at Terengganu.


So long Gem Island, thanks for the treasure.

1 comments:

Such a beautiful description, made me feel like i was actually there with you..thank you for this wonderful experience that you have carefully depicted..Falling in love with your writing!